Luscious Chocolate Butter Cake with Cream Filing &Chocolate Frosting
- Preparation Time
- 25 minutes (plus standing time)
- Cooking Time
- 40 minutes
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (50g) NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa
- 1 ¼ cups (185g) self-raising flour
- 1½ cup (375mL) buttermilk
- CREAM FILLING
- ¾ cup (190mL) thickened cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, extra
- ½ tsp vanilla
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 75g butter, softened
- 1½ tbsp NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa
- ¾ cup (120g) icing sugar mixture
- 1½ tbsp milk
Buttery chocolate cake filled with a smooth vanilla cream centre.
How to Make
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease and line two 20cm round cake pans.
2. Using an electric mixer; beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa and flour; add half to butter mixture with half the buttermilk; mix well; repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
4. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 40 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched in centre. Stand cakes in pans for 10 minutes; turn out onto wire racks lined with baking paper to cool completely.
5. To make cream filling: use an electric mixer to beat cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Place one of the cakes on a cake stand or serving plate; spread with cream; top with the remaining cake.
6. To make Chocolate Frosting: use an electric mixer to beat butter until light and fluffy; add sifted NESTLÉ Baking Cocoa, icing sugar and milk; mix until thick and creamy. Spread over the top of the cake